Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (1)

Book Blogger Hop


A weekly meme hosted by Jennifer  @ Crazy-For-Books
This week's question comes from Ivan who blogs at Ivan Bookworm:
 
 "What book influenced or changed your life? How did it influence/change you?"
 
 The book that I would have to mention would be: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Some of you who know me, may already know that this book is my favorite of all time.  The reason the book means so much to me is my Southern heritage.  Born and raised in the South, in the heart of a location famous for the Civil Rights Movement, from the bombing of the 16th Street Church, the March on Selma, Rosa Parks, and the desegregation of the University of Alabama.  This book focused on a subject, that at the time it was written, was not one that was talked about, much less understood. Atticus Finch and Scout were the two characters in the book that influenced me most.  Those two proved and showed their small Alabama town that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect, no matter where you're from or what you look like.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm bopping around the Book Blogger Hop, and stopping by to say hello. You have a gorgeous blog!

My daughter is reading To Kill A Mockingbird now, and I hope she's able to gain the same appreciation for it as you have!

A Journey in Reading said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you stopped by. I too hope that your daughter enjoys it and also is able to see "through" the story. It really had a great impact.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I adore To Kill a Mockingbird. I once had a high school student tell me that he hated the book and he said because it was racist. I wanted to cry. He must have had the worst teacher in the world if he read the book and came away thinking that.

Howard Sherman said...

This will probably come of something as a surprise but the book that changed/influenced my life (more than any other) is a non-fiction book. I know we all focus on novels and the fanciful fiction we love to read but The Four Work Week is the book that gets all the credit. I know the title sounds fictional but it really isn’t. Hop over to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

Happy Book Blogger Hop Day!


Howard A. Sherman

A Journey in Reading said...

I agree Anne! Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons that the book was on the "banned" list of books, because people said it was racist.

Liz said...

You have me so excited to read this book!

A Journey in Reading said...

Liz, get on it girl! :)

Bailey said...

I'm not actually hopping this week... but I love how To Kill a Mockingbird is a book that changed your life! I only read it this past summer and couldn't believe I waited that long.

A Journey in Reading said...

Hi Bailey, thanks for stopping by! It is a great book, I'm glad that you finally had a chance to read it. I highly recommend the movie with Gregory Peck as well!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I adored To Kill a Mockingbird when I read it in junior high. I really should re-read it.

A Journey in Reading said...

Thank YOU for stopping by! That book is always good for a re-read :)

Susan said...

Classic! TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is one of the greatest books of all time - I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm also glad to have found you via the Hop :)

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. New follower!
To Kill A Mockingbird is such a wonderful book. I loved it too.
Happy weekend!
My Hop

A Journey in Reading said...

Thanks for stopping by Alison, and thanks for following!!

Belinda said...

Happy HOP! The book I shared had a major impact on me last year and totally changed my life for the better. Come by and visit to see which one it was. I'm a new follower :)

The Bookish Snob