Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Perpetual Reading List

perpetual list


I have decided to make a perpetual challenge list for myself.  I have had some classics/modern classics on my shelves at home and on my Kindle for some time now, but have never gotten to them.  I think it's about time.  This will be ongoing, as I am sure that I will add to the list over time, but I am hoping that I can dwindle the list down instead of up.


I am listing some here that I can look around and see right at this moment. Some of them I have already read, but it's been so long since I read them, I need to re-read them to remember.   As they are read, I will mark them off and post reviews.


Candide---Voltaire
The Way We Live Now---Anthony Trollope
Heart of Darkness---Joseph Conrad
The Arabian Nights---Anonymous
At Fault---Kate Chopin
The Moonstone---Wilkie Collins
The Good Soldier---Ford Maddox Ford
The Prince---Niccolo Machiavelli
Paradise Lost---John Milton
House of Mirth---Edith Wharton
Jacob's Room---Virginia Woolf
Swann's Way---Marcel Proust
Common Sense---Thomas Paine
Of Human Bondage---W. Somerset Maugham
This Side of Paradise---F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Handmaid's Tale---Margaret Atwood
Bleak House---Charles Dickens
Nicholas Nickleby---Charles Dickens
A Room With a View---E. M. Forster
Crime & Punishment---Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Beautiful and the Damned---F. Scott Fitzgerald
Their Eyes Were Watching God---Zora Neale Hurston
The Master and Margarita---Mikhail Bulgakov
Brothers Karamazov---Fyodor Dostoevsky
East of Eden---John Steinbeck
Grapes of Wrath---John Steinbeck
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn---Betty Smith
The Haunted Bookshop---Christopher Morley
The Sun Also Rises---Ernest Hemingway
The Sound and the Fury---William Faulkner
Night---Elie Wiesel
The Golden Notebook---Doris Lessing
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle---Haruki Murakami
Love In The Time of Cholera---Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Possession---A.S. Byatt
Howard's End---E. M. Forster
The Joy Luck Club---Amy Tan
Things Fall Apart---Chinua Achebe

That should get me a good start, don't you think?  Again, these are the ones that I can lay my eyes on that I haven't read yet.  How sad is that?


2 comments:

BookGeek said...

I love this! I haven't read some of these in a while...or at all. So I like the idea of going through them. I just read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston and reviewed it a few weeks ago.

A Journey in Reading said...

The sad thing is.... these are just the "classic" that I am looking at.... It doesn't include the newer/non-classic books!