Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review: Firespell (Dark Elite #1)

Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)Firespell by Chloe Neill





This was the first book that I have read by Chloe Neill, but I have heard good things about her Chicagoland Vampires. This is also her first book in the YA world. I must say that she did a pretty good job.



Lily Parker is your typical teenage girl looking forward to her junior and senior year of high school in NY state with her best friend. Her parents drop the news that they will be placing her in a boarding school in Chicago while they venture to Germany for their work on philosophy.



St. Sophia's School for Girls will be Lily's new home for the next two years. Neill did a really good job with resonating the typical issues that teens face. New school, new friends, mean girls, boys, missing the old friends and finally being accepted.



The story took a little bit of time to take off for me, but about half way through it really took off. Lily has a new friend in Scout, a girl in her suite. Lily and Scout have a really cute relationship and their banter back and forth had me laughing quite a bit. Reminded me of my time with one of my friends in high school. I loved the fact that there wasn't a love triangle, which seems to be the norm right now in YA books. I also loved the fact that the story was something that I haven't seen in YA books lately.



Neill did a great job in setting up each character, but also leaving us with a little mystery. The ending of the story set it up nicely to move into book two Hexbound, which I had to immediately buy after I finished this book.






2 comments:

Cait @ Love Letters said...

Love this book! I haven't read Hexbound yet, but I'm getting there... And yes, her Chicagoland Vampires is great! Love me some Ethan... ;-)

brandileigh2003 said...

It took me a bit to get into it too, but once I did I enjoyed. Thanks for review.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog